Saturday 4 October 2014


A Mum’s View...

It’s 13 years since my son took the brave step of coming out to me.  It came as a total surprise and I’m ashamed to say my views at that time were very black and white.  I saw homosexuality as wrong, but thought ‘it’ could be healed.

After the initial shock I suppose I fell into a kind of grief.   Very selfishly grieving for the grandchildren I wouldn’t have and I suppose fear of what others would think.  I felt nauseous in my grief and had to force myself to eat, wishing I could just hide away while I coped with the situation.  I also had to deal with the guilt, thinking I’d caused this to happen somehow.  Had I been a dominant mother?  I then moved onto fears for my son, entering into a world I knew nothing about and was therefore unable to advise or protect him. 
 
One thing I do know is that right from the start it made me love him even more. 

My son broke it to me gently by telling me he thought he might be gay, but in my heart I knew he’d made up his mind.  As we’re a Christian family, I did ask him if he’d prayed about it and he said when he did he was given a sense of peace.  This more than anything else sustained me.   

I now accept my son is gay, he was born this way and he’s made in the image of God the same as everyone else.

It has however been a long journey.  I told a very few trusted friends early on and couldn’t even speak about it for some time without crying.  During this time my husband had been training to become a Vicar and as we moved for his first post as a Curate we didn’t feel we should broadcast this intimate information about our family.  We said it was to protect our son’s privacy, but I suspect the truth was fear of the reaction we may receive from parishioners.  The same applied when we moved on when my husband was appointed Vicar of some rural parishes.  However the more time we spent there the more we shared.  It is only since my husband retired that we have both felt comfortable talking about it.  It’s as we look back on our parish ministry we realise we also found ourselves ministering to men and women of the LGBT community within our rural churches. 

Presumably this was all part of our training and preparation for hearing the Lord call us to start Joel Ministries while at New Wine last summer.  My husband heard the call first to share Jesus’ love with the gay community and I readily supported him in this.  As our week at New Wine continued we then met two mums with gay children and realised we were perhaps also to offer a listening ear to those coming to terms with a loved one coming out.  It was one of these mums who suggested the name Joel (restoring the years the locusts have stolen*).  We then saw the acronym:

 
Jesus Offers Everyone Love

 and knew it was right.

I love both my children very dearly.  I am proud of all they have already achieved in their lives.  I accept them both just as they are, after all God created them in His image.
 
*Joel 2:25  'The Lord says, "I will give you back what you lost..." '

No comments:

Post a Comment